GoPro cameras have revolutionized the world of adventure photography and videography, allowing outdoor enthusiasts to capture stunning, high-quality footage of their most exhilarating moments. Whether you’re hiking through the wilderness or exploring a bustling city, a GoPro camera can immortalize your journey with ease. But to truly make the most of your GoPro, it’s essential to have a reliable backpack mount that allows you to shoot hands-free, fully immersing your audience in your adventures.
Backpack mounts have become indispensable accessories for hikers, travelers, and thrill-seekers alike, as they offer a convenient, stable platform for your GoPro, while keeping it within reach for instant action.
In this article, we’ll explore the top GoPro backpack mounts that are specifically designed for hiking and traveling, taking into account factors like compatibility, durability, adjustability, and ease of use. By the end, you’ll have all the information you need to choose the perfect mount to suit your needs and make your next adventure an unforgettable one.
The Best GoPro Backpack Mounts
Sametop Backpack Clip Mount
As an avid adventurer and GoPro enthusiast, I recently had the opportunity to test out the Samtop Backpack Clip Mount during my hiking and traveling escapades. The mount promises a convenient and secure way to attach your GoPro to your backpack, so I was eager to see how it would perform. Here’s my honest review, detailing what I liked and what I didn’t like about this product.
What I Liked:
- Easy installation: The Samtop Backpack Clip Mount was incredibly easy to install, with a simple clipping mechanism that securely fastened to my backpack’s shoulder strap without any hassle.
- Sturdy build: Made from durable materials, the mount felt sturdy and well-constructed, giving me confidence in its ability to withstand the rigors of outdoor activities.
- Versatile positioning: The 360-degree rotating base allowed me to adjust the camera angle with ease, capturing a variety of perspectives and ensuring optimal footage during my hikes.
- Compatibility: The mount was compatible with my GoPro model, and I appreciate that it is designed to work with a wide range of GoPro cameras and similar action cameras.
What I Didn’t Like:
- Limited vertical adjustment: While the rotating base offered great flexibility, I found the vertical adjustment to be somewhat limited, making it difficult to capture certain angles without adjusting the strap or the mount’s position on the backpack.
- Potential for strap slippage: In some instances, I noticed that the mount would occasionally slip down my backpack strap, especially during more strenuous activities. This required me to stop and reposition the mount to maintain stability and the desired camera angle.
Thule Legend GoPro Backpack
As an all-in-one backpack designed specifically for GoPro users, it offers a range of features aimed at simplifying the process of carrying and mounting your GoPro camera while on the go.
What I Liked:
- Integrated GoPro mount: The Thule Legend features a built-in GoPro mount on the backpack’s shoulder strap, allowing for quick and easy camera attachment without the need for additional mounts or accessories.
- Storage and organization: The backpack provides ample storage space, with dedicated compartments for GoPro cameras, accessories, and personal items. I appreciated the well-organized layout and the ease of accessing my gear.
- Durable construction: The Thule Legend is made from high-quality materials that felt durable and weather-resistant, giving me confidence that it would withstand the demands of outdoor adventures.
- Comfort and support: The backpack’s ergonomic design, padded straps, and adjustable harness system provided excellent comfort and support during my hikes, even when carrying a heavy load.
- Stylish appearance: I found the design of the Thule Legend to be both modern and stylish, making it a visually appealing choice for adventure enthusiasts.
What I Didn’t Like:
- Price point: The Thule Legend GoPro Backpack is relatively expensive compared to other backpacks or GoPro mounting solutions. This may be a limiting factor for some users, especially those on a tight budget.
- Weight: While the backpack offers a host of features and ample storage, it is slightly heavier than some other backpacks in its class. This may be a concern for those looking to minimize the weight of their gear during extended hikes.
Stuntman Pack Mount
This mount is designed to attach your GoPro to backpack straps, harnesses, or belts, making it a versatile option for a range of outdoor activities.
What I Liked:
- Rugged design: The Stuntman Pack Mount is built with high-quality materials and a robust design, making it capable of withstanding the wear and tear of intense outdoor activities.
- Secure attachment: The mount’s heavy-duty straps and buckles ensured a firm and secure attachment to my backpack strap, providing peace of mind during action-packed moments.
- Wide range of compatibility: The Stuntman Pack Mount is compatible with various GoPro models and similar action cameras, making it a versatile option for a wide range of users.
- 360-degree rotation: The mount’s rotating base allowed for easy adjustments of the camera angle, offering flexibility in capturing various perspectives during my hikes.
- Stability: The mount’s design and secure attachment system provided excellent stability, resulting in smooth and shake-free footage.
What I Didn’t Like:
- Complexity of setup: The initial setup and adjustments of the Stuntman Pack Mount took a bit more time and effort compared to some other mounting solutions, as the straps and buckles required fine-tuning to ensure a secure fit.
- Size and bulk: The mount’s rugged design and heavy-duty materials contribute to its larger size and bulk, which may not be ideal for those who prioritize minimalism and weight reduction in their gear.
Telesin GoPro Backpack Shoulder Mount
As an avid adventurer and GoPro enthusiast, I’m always on the lookout for new and innovative ways to capture stunning footage of my hiking and traveling adventures. Recently, I had the opportunity to test out the Telesin GoPro Backpack Shoulder Mount, a lightweight and affordable solution for attaching your GoPro camera to your backpack’s shoulder strap.
What I Liked:
- Lightweight design: The Telesin GoPro Backpack Shoulder Mount is incredibly lightweight, adding minimal weight to my backpack and allowing for comfortable and easy movement during my hikes.
- Comfortable fit: The mount’s adjustable strap system and soft padding provided excellent comfort and support, ensuring a snug and secure fit during my adventures.
- Immersive footage: The mount’s position on the shoulder strap allowed me to capture immersive and dynamic footage, providing a unique perspective of my surroundings and the trail ahead.
- Affordable price: The Telesin GoPro Backpack Shoulder Mount is priced competitively, making it an accessible option for users looking for a cost-effective GoPro mounting solution.
- Easy to use: The mount’s simple design and intuitive functionality made it incredibly easy to use, with no complicated installation or setup required.
What I Didn’t Like:
- Limited adjustability: While the mount’s position on the shoulder strap allowed for great footage, I found the adjustability to be somewhat limited, making it difficult to capture certain angles without adjusting the backpack or mount’s position.
- Durability: The mount’s lightweight design and affordable price point may come at the expense of durability, making it a potential concern for those seeking a more rugged and long-lasting mounting solution.
Surewo Backpack Shoulder Strap Mount
The mount promises a compact and versatile solution for attaching your GoPro camera to your backpack’s shoulder strap, allowing for quick and easy access to your camera while on the go.
What I Liked:
- Compact and lightweight: The Surewo Backpack Shoulder Strap Mount is incredibly compact and lightweight, making it an ideal choice for those who prioritize minimalism and ease of movement during their hikes and travels.
- Versatile positioning: The mount’s adjustable strap system allowed me to position my camera on either shoulder, providing flexibility in capturing various perspectives and angles during my adventures.
- Secure attachment: The mount’s sturdy design and strong strap system ensured a secure and stable attachment to my backpack’s shoulder strap, preventing any unwanted camera movement or shake.
- Wide compatibility: The Surewo Backpack Shoulder Strap Mount is compatible with a wide range of GoPro models and similar action cameras, making it a versatile option for a variety of users.
- Affordable price: The mount is priced competitively, making it an accessible option for those on a budget.
What I Didn’t Like:
- Limited adjustability: While the mount’s versatile positioning is a plus, I found the adjustability to be somewhat limited, making it difficult to capture certain angles without adjusting the backpack or mount’s position.
- Durability: The mount’s compact and lightweight design may come at the expense of durability, making it a potential concern for those seeking a more rugged and long-lasting mounting solution.
Lupholue Backpack Mount
During my recent hiking and traveling adventures, I had the opportunity to test out the Lupholue Backpack Mount, a unique and versatile solution for attaching your GoPro camera to your backpack. The mount promises to provide an innovative way to capture dynamic and immersive footage during outdoor activities.
What I Liked:
- Innovative design: The Lupholue Backpack Mount’s design is unlike any other GoPro mount I’ve used, offering a new and exciting way to capture dynamic footage. The mount attaches to the backpack’s waist strap and features a retractable arm that extends outward, providing a unique perspective on the trail ahead.
- Versatile attachment: The mount’s adjustable strap system and multiple attachment points allowed me to position the camera in a variety of ways, providing flexibility in capturing various angles and perspectives.
- Sturdy construction: The mount felt well-constructed and durable, with sturdy materials that gave me confidence in its ability to withstand the rigors of outdoor activities.
- Easy to use: The mount’s retractable arm and simple design made it incredibly easy to use, with no complicated installation or setup required.
- Immersive footage: The mount’s position on the waist strap provided a unique and immersive perspective, capturing a sense of motion and perspective that other mounting solutions may not offer.
What I Didn’t Like:
- Limited compatibility: The Lupholue Backpack Mount is designed specifically for GoPro HERO5/6/7/8 cameras, limiting its compatibility for users with different camera models.
- Price point: The mount is priced higher than some other mounting solutions, which may be a limiting factor for budget-conscious users.
Smatree Backpack for Insta360, GoPro, and DJI
As a multi-camera user, I’m always searching for backpacks that offer a range of storage and mounting solutions for my gear. Recently, I had the chance to test out the Smatree Backpack, which promises to provide a comprehensive solution for GoPro, Insta360, and DJI users.
What I Liked:
- Versatility: The Smatree Backpack is designed to accommodate a wide range of cameras, including GoPro, Insta360, and DJI models, making it an all-in-one solution for multi-camera users.
- Ample storage: The backpack provides ample storage space, with dedicated compartments for cameras, accessories, and personal items. The layout is well-organized and easy to access, making it ideal for on-the-go filming.
- Comfort and support: The backpack’s ergonomic design, padded straps, and adjustable harness system provided excellent comfort and support, even when carrying a heavy load.
- Durability: The backpack’s sturdy construction and high-quality materials gave me confidence in its ability to withstand the rigors of outdoor adventures.
- Multiple mounting options: The backpack includes various mounting options for GoPro and Insta360 cameras, including chest mounts, helmet mounts, and backpack mounts, providing flexibility in capturing various angles and perspectives.
What I Didn’t Like:
- Limited DJI compatibility: While the backpack is designed to accommodate DJI cameras, the mounting options and compatibility are somewhat limited compared to other camera models.
- Weight: The backpack’s ample storage and multiple mounting options contribute to its heavier weight, which may be a concern for those looking to minimize the weight of their gear during extended hikes.
Advantages of a GoPro Backpack Mount for Hiking
Hands-free filming: GoPro backpack mounts allow you to capture your adventures without needing to constantly hold or adjust the camera. This leaves your hands free to hold trekking poles, navigate, or perform other tasks that may be necessary during your hike.
Quick access: With your GoPro camera mounted on your backpack, it’s easily accessible whenever you need to capture a moment or adjust settings. No need to fumble around in your backpack or pockets, potentially missing a crucial shot.
Secure attachment: GoPro backpack mounts are designed to securely hold your camera in place, reducing the risk of dropping or losing your GoPro while hiking through rough terrain.
Protection from the elements: Many backpack mounts provide additional protection for your GoPro, shielding it from rain, dust, and other potential hazards. This helps ensure your camera stays safe and functional during your hike.
Immersive footage: A backpack-mounted GoPro provides a unique point of view that truly immerses your audience in your adventure. By capturing footage from your perspective, your viewers will feel as though they are experiencing the hike alongside you.
Dynamic angles: Depending on the type of mount and its adjustability, you can easily switch between different angles and perspectives, offering a variety of shots that can make your footage more engaging and interesting.
Natural storytelling: With a GoPro mounted on your backpack, you can easily narrate your journey or provide commentary in real-time, adding depth and context to your footage and creating a more compelling story.
How to Pick the Best GoPro Backpack Mount for Your Hiking Adventures
When choosing the ideal GoPro backpack mount for your hiking adventures, it’s essential to consider several factors that will impact your overall experience.
Build quality is a crucial factor when selecting a GoPro backpack mount, as it will determine the mount’s durability and ability to withstand the rigors of outdoor activities. Look for mounts made of high-quality materials like aluminum, stainless steel, or heavy-duty plastics that can resist wear and tear. A well-constructed mount will also provide better stability, ensuring that your camera remains steady and captures smooth footage during your hikes.
Compatibility with your specific GoPro model is another important aspect to consider. Ensure that the mount you choose is designed to work with your camera, as different GoPro models may have varying attachment mechanisms or dimensions. Checking compatibility will save you from potential frustration and ensure that your camera fits securely on the mount.
Versatility is another aspect that can make a GoPro backpack mount stand out. Some mounts offer multiple mounting options, allowing you to switch between different perspectives or even attach additional cameras or accessories. A versatile mount can enhance your filming capabilities and provide more creative opportunities during your hikes.
Ease of Use and Installation
Ease of use and installation should also be a priority when selecting a backpack mount. A user-friendly design will enable you to attach, adjust, and remove the mount quickly and easily, even while wearing gloves or under challenging conditions. Look for mounts with clear instructions, intuitive mechanisms, and minimal tools required for setup.
Weight is a critical factor for hikers, as carrying a heavy backpack can quickly become exhausting and uncomfortable. Opt for a lightweight GoPro backpack mount that won’t add unnecessary burden to your load. Keep in mind that lighter materials don’t always compromise durability, so it’s possible to find a mount that balances both aspects.
By evaluating these factors, you’ll be well-equipped to select the perfect GoPro backpack mount to enhance your hiking adventures and capture stunning, immersive footage.
Additional Mounting Tips and Tricks
As a professional hiker and travel guide, I’ve learned the importance of mastering GoPro mounting techniques to capture the best possible footage during outdoor adventures. In this section, I’ll share some pro tips for positioning, balancing weight distribution, and ensuring stability while trekking.
Positioning for Optimal Footage
Aim for variety: To make your footage more engaging, switch up the angles and perspectives throughout your hike. This can include capturing low-angle shots, focusing on the trail ahead, or even filming your face as you react to the surroundings.
Anticipate the action: Keep an eye on the trail and your environment. If you notice an interesting feature or a challenging section coming up, make sure your camera is ready to capture it.
Experiment with height: Adjust the height of your camera on the backpack mount to capture different perspectives. Sometimes, positioning the camera higher can offer a more immersive view, while a lower angle can create a more dramatic effect.
Balancing Weight Distribution of Backpack
Symmetrical packing: When packing your backpack, distribute the weight evenly on both sides. This will help maintain balance while trekking and prevent any discomfort caused by an uneven load.
Heavier items low and close: Keep heavier items, such as water bottles or camping gear, closer to your lower back to maintain a low center of gravity, which will help with stability.
Adjust straps and padding: Make sure your backpack’s straps and padding are properly adjusted to your body, ensuring that the weight is distributed comfortably and securely.
Ensuring Stability while Trekking
Test your setup: Before embarking on your hike, spend some time testing the stability of your GoPro backpack mount by walking or jogging with it. Make any necessary adjustments to minimize camera shake and ensure steady footage.
Use trekking poles: Trekking poles can help maintain balance and stability while walking, particularly on uneven terrain or steep inclines. This added stability will translate to smoother, more stable footage from your GoPro.
Mind your footing: When hiking, always be mindful of your footing, and make any necessary adjustments to your stride or posture to ensure stability. This will not only help you stay safe on the trail but also result in steadier footage from your backpack-mounted GoPro.
By following these pro tips, you’ll be able to maximize the quality of your GoPro footage and create a truly immersive experience for your audience. Happy hiking!
How to make a DIY GoPro Backpack mount?
Creating a DIY GoPro Backpack mount can be a fun and cost-effective alternative to purchasing a commercial mount. To make one, you’ll need a GoPro adhesive mount or tripod mount, a flat and sturdy surface like a plastic plate or a piece of PVC, a strong adhesive or epoxy, and some zip ties or straps.
First, attach the GoPro mount to the flat surface using the adhesive or epoxy and let it dry according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Once it’s secure, position the flat surface on your backpack’s shoulder strap or any other desired location, making sure it’s stable and comfortable.
Finally, use zip ties or straps to securely fasten the DIY mount to your backpack, ensuring that it’s tight and won’t move during your adventures. Now, you’re ready to attach your GoPro camera and capture some amazing footage on your next hike or trip.
How do you carry a GoPro while hiking?
Carrying a GoPro while hiking can be done in several ways, depending on your preference and the type of footage you want to capture. Common methods include using a backpack mount, chest mount, or head mount for hands-free filming and immersive point-of-view shots. Alternatively, you can attach the GoPro to a selfie stick or handheld grip for more control and the ability to capture a wider range of angles.
Whichever method you choose, it’s important to ensure your camera is securely attached and easily accessible, so you can quickly capture memorable moments or adjust settings without interrupting your hike. Remember to pack spare batteries or a power bank, and store your GoPro in a protective case when it’s not in use to keep it safe from the elements and potential damage.
What is the best GoPro setting for hiking?
Bit Rate: High – This setting will capture more detail in your footage, providing better image quality at the expense of larger file sizes.
Shutter: Auto – This allows the camera to automatically adjust the shutter speed based on the lighting conditions, ensuring proper exposure.
EV Comp: -0.5 – This slightly underexposes the image, which can help retain details in bright highlights and prevent overexposure in high-contrast situations.
White Balance: Auto – This setting allows the camera to automatically adjust the color temperature based on the lighting conditions, ensuring accurate colors in your footage.
ISO Min: 100 – This keeps the image sensor’s sensitivity low, resulting in less noise and better image quality in well-lit environments.
ISO Max: 1600 – This limits the maximum ISO, reducing noise and grain in low-light situations while maintaining a reasonable level of brightness.
Sharpness: Low – This setting provides a more natural look by reducing in-camera sharpening. You can add sharpness in post-production if desired.
Color: Natural – This color profile captures more accurate and true-to-life colors, which can be adjusted in post-production for a more stylized look if desired.
Wind: Auto – This setting enables the camera to automatically reduce wind noise when it’s detected, improving the quality of your audio.
These settings are suitable for most hiking scenarios, providing a good balance between image quality, color accuracy, and file size. Remember to monitor your camera’s settings during your hike and make adjustments as needed based on the changing environment and lighting conditions.
Are GoPro sticky mounts waterproof?
Yes, GoPro sticky mounts, also known as adhesive mounts, are waterproof. They are designed to securely attach your GoPro camera to a variety of surfaces, even when submerged in water.
In conclusion, choosing the perfect GoPro backpack mount for your hiking and traveling adventures can significantly enhance your ability to capture stunning, immersive footage that truly brings your experiences to life.
By considering factors such as build quality, compatibility, versatility, ease of use, and weight, you’ll be well-equipped to find the ideal mount for your needs. Don’t forget to fine-tune your GoPro settings and follow our pro tips for optimal camera positioning, weight distribution, and stability while trekking.
Whether you opt for a commercial mount or create a DIY solution, you’ll soon be on your way to creating unforgettable memories and breathtaking visual stories from your adventures.
So, gear up, hit the trails, and let your GoPro be your eyes to the world as you explore the beauty of nature and the excitement of new destinations!